Sifting through design research

Summary: Each day, hundreds of new users are welcomed to LogMeIn products for the first time via email. This crucial touchpoint in the customer's journey needed an overhaul. I led design research to inform the refresh and to ensure stakeholders endorsed the new direction.

Design decisions

The primary challenge for this project was to align stakeholders, many of whom had different visions for what this email should or could do. I set out to make informed design decisions based in design research from:

  • Stakeholder design jams
  • Co-design with customers
  • Competitive reviews
Three hand sketches for the design of an email.  Participants have indicated ideas they like the most with dot stickers.
Participant sketches from stakeholders in Account Services, Customer Success, Marketing, Engineering, Product Documentation, UX & Product.

The things we kept

However, another guiding principle was not quite as universally desired among stakeholders: minimal marketing or support content in favor of a strong, clear call-to-action. This decision was driven by feedback from customers during the co-design sessions.

"Less is more. A ton of wording confuses people"
IT Manager, Co-design research participant
"Nice and plain and simple.
The basic items."
IT Director, Co-design research participant

After collecting, analyzing, and discussing these insights with the development team, together we made data driven decisions to optimize the email with the initially unpopular decision to leave out much of the suggested marketing and support content. In additional meetings to socialize the proposed changes to these stakeholders, I shared the findings of the design research and made the case that these emails had a singular goal: to have the user create their account; tailored product training and support tips were a better fit for nurture email campaigns that follow account creation. By democratizing the data, we confidently moved in the direction of the email redesign with internal buy-in.

On the left is an image of the old email. On the right is an image of the new email. Between are lines that show how the content of the old email is mapped to the new one.
I used this artifact to socialize the redesign and illustrate how the content changes in the old to the new email.

Feedback, early and often

With such a substantial change to the look and feel of the email, I recommended a cautious roll-out. I oversaw an early access period where I monitored the 33% of accounts who were transitioned to the new emails. The remainder were notified how to opt in for the early access period.

  • An additional 802 accounts opted in on their own
  • I fielded feedback from admins who turned "off" the new emails to document issues or bugs
  • I conducted six 1:1 interviews with customers using the new emails during this period
  • After 6 weeks without major issues, I recommended we move forward with the GA release

Better conversions, better conversations

Relying extensively on design based research was necessary for this project because the effectiveness of this email had traditionally been difficult to gauge. As part of this update, I championed improving our data metrics to include email click rates so that we can monitor if the user opens the email, clicks "Get Started", and creates their new account. Now, I can leverage multiple sources of data as uncover opportunities for enhancement, and spark richer conversations with stakeholders as we continue to partner in the design process.